The East Essex Aviation Society and Museum has been accommodated in the historic Martello Tower at Point Clear since its first opening to visitors in 1986.
The Tower is one of the main Napoleonic Forts constructed in1806 on the East Coast to repel any possible invasion from France and is one of only a handful few Martello Towers still open to the public.
The Society was formed in 1985 when attention grew locally in the salvage of a crashed American P51 Mustang of the U.S. 479th Fighter Group that was compelled to dump in the sea off the coast of Clacton on 13th of January, 1945 with the loss of the pilot's life. The Tower was the perfect spot to store & preserve the wreckage after it was retrieved from the sea.
The leftovers of this aeroplane now take pride of place along with a honouring display to the pilot. In addition to this, the Museum also houses a huge collection of displays covers the major conflicts of the 20th century.Read More»