The London Maths Society (LMS) is the elementary learned society for mathematics in Britain today. It was established in 1865 for the elevation and extension of mathematical knowledge. Basically tentatively it is called as the London University Mathematical Society, its name replaced to University College London Mathematical Society sooner Augustus De Morgan pleased that “University College” be released from the title to broaden the Society’s membership, and hence the London Mathematical Society was founded. Considering then, the Society has expanded its membership to over two thousand members.
The major activities of the Society are:
- The provision of grants to support mathematics, exclusively conferences and joint research activities associating groups at different Universities. It is especially concerned to provide help for young mathematicians. It also has schemes to support educational outstrip activities and assistance to those with home commitments whose intention is to attend conferences.
- Proceedings of the London Mathematical Society generates the Proceedings (est. 1865), the Journal (est. 1926), the Bulletin London mathematical society (est. 1969), the LMS Journal of Computation and Mathematics (est. 1998) and the Journal of Topology (est. 2008) Transactions London mathematical society four book series: LMS Lecture Notes, LMS Student Texts, LMS Monographs, and (unitedly with the American Mathematical Society) antiquity of Mathematics. The Society publishes Nonlinearity jointly with the Institute of Physics, Compositio Mathematica on behalf of a Dutch Foundation, and Mathematics on behalf of University College London. It has collective arrangements to produce translations of three leading Russian mathematical periodicals likewise the Transactions of the Moscow Mathematical Society.
- The Society subsidize to public debate on matters touching mathematics and mathematics education, incorporating position statements outlining Society policy.
The history of the London Mathematical Society extends over 140 years and it has celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2015.