Back

Biography

Dr. Anurodh Mohan Dayal, is M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Geology from Pune University. He is working on exploration of Hydrocarbon is Indian sedimentary basins using surface geochemical prospecting technique. During his tenure he worked with various oil companies in India and abroad in their exploration block. He is consultant of shale gas project from Damodar basin, Jammu and Kashmir and hydrocarbon exploration project of Oil Industrial Development Board and Director General of Hydrocarbon, New Delhi. He has published more than 100 research papers in reputed research journals and more than 22 technical reports for the various oil companies. He delivered number of invited talk at PDPU, Gandhinagar, Wadia College Pune, 3rd World petro-coal congress at New Delhi, He participated in various international conference and delivered talk at Melbourne, Australia, Davos, Switzerland, Vancouver, Canada, Tennessee, USA, Köln, Germany, Vienna Austria, China and Italy. He received DAAD and bilateral Exchange program fellowship to visit UK under the with The Royal Society, London. He received an invitation from French Embassy to visit Institute Physics de Globe, Paris and BRGM, Orleans, France. His papers were published in five books. He superannuated as Principal scientist in January 2012 and CSIR awarded him the position of Emeritus Scientist post for period of three years to continue his work on shale gas. He is also working on potential of shale gas in Indian sedimentary basins as research project on shale gas as consultant.

Abstract

Water security is emerging as increasingly important and vital issues for India with the growth rate in population and living standard. Major city in the India were developed along the major river as the water as source for daily need and industry was available. But with the rapid growth of population, industrial and urbanization most of the river basins in India are experiencing severe water shortages. In rural area agricultural growth with multiple crops in a year has increased the demand of water. Current and future fresh water demand could be met by enhancing water use efficiency and demand management. Essential treatment of wastewater or low quality water is potential source for the increasing demand of water in 2020. With the current statics the estimated sewage generated in major cities of India is 38350 million litres per day (MLD). The sewage treatment capacity in the country is only of 11786 MLD. Similarly, only 60% of industrial waste water, mostly large scale industries, is treated. Remaining 40% goes to the rivers or ponds without any treatment and pollute the surface water. Performance of sewage treatment plants working in different states for treating municipal waste water, and common effluent treatment plants, for treating effluent from small scale industries, is also not complying with prescribed standards. Such water from the treatment plants is not suitable for household purpose. This is being used mostly to agricultural and industrial purposes. However, there is high risk associated to human health and the environment on use of wastewater for agriculture in developing countries.