Back

Ajayi O B

Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria, Nigeria

Title: Consumption pattern of food away from home among households in Ogbomoso Metropolis, Oyo State

Biography

Ajayi O B is a Master Student (Msc) from Federal University of Agriculture in Nigeria. She is also working as a research scientist in Forestry research institute of
Nigeria.

Abstract

The study assessed the expenditure pattern of food away from home (FAFH) among household in Ogbomoso Metropolis. Eighty respondents were selected for the study (using purposive sampling technique and information was collected from the sampled respondents with the aid of structured questionnaire using descriptive statistics, statistic difference between two mean and multiple regression analyses. Socio economic characteristics of respondents which includes education level, sex, age, marital status, religion, occupation and annual income. The result of the study showed that 57.61% of the respondents spent average amount of Ń10,616.35 on food away from home while the remaining 42.39% of the respondents spent Ñ7,810.63 on food prepared at home. Regression analysis revealed that the age of the household (x2), household size(x5) and amount spent on food prepared at home (x7) significantly determined the amount spent on food away from home. The coefficient of determination of R2 is 0.574, which implies that about 57% of the variability in the amount spent away from home is explained by regressor. The t-statistic revealed that there is a significant difference between the amount spent on food away from home and food prepared at home. The respondent also identified stress in the food preparation (31.25%), job callers (16.25%), time constraint (26.25%) as some of the reasons for eating outside their house. The study revealed that, majority of people eats outside their home more than the rate at which they eat at home. The reason is because most women that are supposed to be home preparing food in the households are engaged in one work or the other. Also, time constraint was identified as one of the reason why many eat outside their home. Job calling have also led to increase in expenditure on FAFH. There are some other factors identified which include stress and persistent pleasant aroma leading to increase in expenditure on food away from home.