Toxic hepatitis is an inflammation of liver in reaction to certain substances like alcohol, chemicals, drugs or nutritional supplements. Organic solvents used in different industrial processes may be associated with hepatotoxicity. It may also develop when you take too much of a prescription or over-the-counter medication. It is diagnosed by a liver biopsy. About 10-20% of all diagnosed hepatitis cases are estimated to be drug induced. Women are more prone to toxic hepatitis compared to men. Early diagnosis of cirrhosis is important to prevent the development of severe liver failure.
Treatments for toxic hepatitis include stopping exposure to the toxin, medication to reverse liver damage caused by acetaminophen and liver transplant (in severe cases). People with severe symptoms are likely to receive supportive therapy in the hospital, including intravenous fluids and medication to relieve nausea and vomiting. In patients with abnormalities in liver function tests, a careful history including not only drugs, but also herbal remedies, should first be obtained before prescribing medication. Alcohol consumption and use of over-the-counter medication must be reduced.