Risø DTU Nationallaboratoriet for Bæredygtig Energi) was a logical research association north of Roskilde, Denmark. The Risø DTU organisation was established in 1956 and broken up on 1 January 2012. The area is currently known as DTU Risø Campus and the structures are home to various organizations under the Technical University of Denmark (DTU). Risø covers a zone of more than 2.6 square kilometers.
From 1 January 2008, it was made an establishment of the Technical University of Denmark (DTU). On 1 January 2007, the Technical University of Denmark converged with the Danish Institute for Food and Veterinary Research, the Danish Institute for Fisheries Research, Danish National Space Center, the Danish Transport Research Institute and Risø National Laboratory. Before this, Risø National Laboratory was an examination foundation under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation and comprised of eight research offices: Biosystems, Polymer Department, Fuel Cells and Solid State Chemistry, Materials Research, Optics and Plasma Research, Radiation Research, Systems Analysis and Wind Energy.
Risø was established in 1956, however not formally initiated until 1958. Niels Bohr assumed a key part in the establishing of Risø and was administrator of the Nuclear Energy Commission charged to advance the quiet utilization of atomic power. The mission of Risø was "to make new learning in light of world-class research, and to guarantee that our insight is utilized to advance the improvement of an inventive and feasible society" (from the website page). Risø is the site of three research atomic reactors: DR-1, DR-2 and DR-3. DR-3 is a DIDO class atomic reactor. All reactors are closed down and experiencing decommissioning. Risø was in its later years especially noted for its contribution in wind vitality and strong oxide power devices. Risø had solid abilities in environmental change impacts examines and had "cutting edge" offices for reasonable environmental change investigations and observing.The organization employed about 700 staff (660 man-years) in 2005. On 1 January 2012 Risø DTU was dissolved. The location is now called DTU Risø Campus and is home to a number of DTU institutes.