The Technische Universität Darmstadt, commonly referred to as TU Darmstadt, known for its quality research work from the time of its foundation in 1877 located in the city of Darmstadt, Germany. The University holds its credits of being the first university to set up the chair in Electrical Engineering.
Ludwig IV, Großherzog von Hessen und bei Rhein earlier named the university as Polytechnic School Technische Hochschule zu Darmstadt raiseing the standards of education as a mandatary matriculation base for Diploma courses. In 1899 the TH Darmstadt was granted the right to award doctorates.
TU Darmstadt focusses on selected, highly relevant problem areas. Technology is at the heart of all our disciplines at TU Darmstadt.
Faculties and courses of study
There are 13 departments and 5 fields of study, which all together offer about 100 courses of studies. The university is spread across 5 locations with 306,000 square metres of usable space.
The University, with 140 Buildings and an area of property of 600 acres, is concentrated at the two campuses, Inner City and Lichtwiese, but individual facilities can be found in other parts of Darmstadt and in Griesheim, a neighboring town.
The principle key factor for the indivisibility of teaching and research is common to all German universities. However, that research at the TU Darmstadt has had a long and particularly successful tradition to date. The scientific infrastructure provided by the University has attracted a considerable number of national and international research institutions to the, who on their part collaborate with the TU Darmstadt on many projects.