Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a rare but serious infection caused by a bacterial toxin produced by a bacterium called Staphylococcus aureus. Symptoms include a sudden high fever, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle ache, dizziness, or sunburn like rash. The skin on the palms of hands and soles of your feet may flake or peel after a few days.TSS is a rare disorder. Menstruating women and pregnant women are at a greater risk to develop TSS. It can affect men, women and children alike.
Patients with are hospitalized and require intensive care. It is usually treated with antibiotics, and drugs to lower temperature, and large amounts of fluids to keep your blood pressure up. Intravenous antibiotic combinations of pencillins and clindamycin are given to help prevent recurrence. With proper treatment, patients generally recover within three weeks. Research is being done to use Intravenous immunoglobulin therapy for TSS. Patients at the risk of developing TSS must be educated about proper use of tampons and wound care.