The Asia-Oceanian Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine was founded in 2007, and its first Congress was held in 2008 in China. Then the second Congress was held in Taiwan in 2010, the third was in Indonesia in 2012, the fourth was in Thailand, and the fifth Congress has just finished in Cebu, Philippines. The current president of Asia-Oceanian Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine “Masami AKAI” took over from Dr. Sukajan Pongprapai on Feb 21 2016. This Asia-Oceania region accounts for 60% of the world population and includes many countries.
Some countries have burden by so called aging society as they make efforts to improve their public health. For the benefit of patients from different backgrounds 'how it's done' is more important than 'what is done'.
The mission of the Asian Oceanian Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine is:
1. To be the Asian Oceanian regional educational and scientific society for practitioners in the fields of Rehabilitation and Physical.
2. To improve the skills, knowledge and attitudes of physicians.
3. To improve quality of life of people with activities limitation.
4. To facilitate rehabilitation and physical medicine from the Asian Oceanian Region to International Health Organizations.
In World Congress of IRMA in 1997 which was held in Kyoto, Japan, the attendees from Asian countries formally got together to plan about the possible benefits by forming an Asian organization of rehabilitation medicine, and many of those agreed to the idea. In National Japanese Rehabilitation Meeting which was held in 2000 in Japan, some 43 oversea speakers were invited and many of them were from Asia. Here again they plan to organize an Asian rehabilitation society for betterment of public health in Asia.
1. 9th National Scientific Conference, 12 - 14 Dec 2016, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
2. 9th Interdisciplinary World Congress on Low Back & Pelvic Pain: Oct 31-Nov 03 2016, Singapore
3. International Symposium of Interventional Physiatry, Oct 29- Oct 30 2016, Taiwan
4. Cochrane PRM Exploratory Meeting: 19 Sept 2016, Brescia, Italy
5. MENA Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Congress, Oct 13-15 2016, Dubai
6. 10th International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine World Congress, May 29-June 02, Malaysia