Professor Hubert de Watteville, born and educated in Berne, Switzerland (1907-1984), and was the ‘founding father’ of FIGO, a charismatic figure, extremely regarded as a gynecologist and obstetrician by several domestic and foreign patients, together with celebrities. His work focused on endocrinology and on psychosomatics in gynecology.
Vision & Mission
FIGO has an idea that women of the world accomplish the highest possible standards of physical, mental, reproductive and sexual health and happiness throughout their lives.
FIGO is a skilled organisation that brings together obstetrical and gynecological relations from all over the sphere.
FIGO is devoted to the growth of women’s health and rights and to the decrease of disparities in healthcare existing to women and newborns, as well as to progressing the science and exercise of obstetrics and gynecology.
The society pursues its mission through advocacy, programmatic actions, capacity strengthening of Member Associations, education and coaching.
FIGO’s overall goals are:
· to progress the health and wellbeing of women and newborn children global
· to increase the status of women and let their active participation to accomplish their reproductive and sexual rights with contact to efficient education and services during the course of their life cycle;
· to upgrade the practice of obstetrics and gynaecology through teaching, training and research to uphold a high standard of professionalism.
FIGO’s considerable global accomplishments include a presentation system for gynaecologic cancers (used in hospitals worldwide); moral guidelines; harmonisation of scientific terminology; numerous General Assembly resolutions
1. Encouraging all hard work for raising the status of women and for progressing their part in all issues related to women’s health.
2. Promoting sexual and procreative health and rights and services through teaching, research and advocacy, as well as through the availability of accessible, efficient, affordable, sustainable and comprehensive reproductive health amenities
3. Emphasising the importance to achieve the Millennium Development Goals by 2015 - FIGO is dedicated to accelerating its efforts and activities succeed in MDG targets, especially in the area of safe motherhood and newborn health
4. Continually upgrading the exercise of gynecology and obstetrics through research, learning and training, and by maintaining the best levels of expertise and scientific and ethical values.
5. Enlightening communication with and between Member Associations and constructing the capacities of those from low-resource countries through strengthening direction, sensible follow and therefore the promotion of policy dialogues.
6. Strengthening capabilities to enable societies to play a essential role in the development and implementation of property programmes aimed at the improvement of care offered to girls and newborns, especially for poor and underserved populations
7. Recognising the prominence of cooperative efforts for progressing women’s health and rights. FIGO is committed to strengthening businesses with other international professional organisations, global organization agencies, and the public/private sector to realize its objectives.Read More»