Canadian Aberdeen Angus Association had a rough begin when two groups, one in the east and the other in the west differ on the requirement for a Canadian Association. The same circumstance influenced different breeds and was determined just when a proposal was affirmed to have one association framed where all breeds could enlist. Canadian National Livestock Records was framed and situated in Ottawa. Our Registry stayed in Ottawa for a long time until 1996 when the Association accepted accountability and exchanged the records to its office in Calgary. At the point when the Canadian Aberdeen Angus Association was framed, all authorities and executives were from Western Canada and the breed office was set up in Winnipeg. The Constitution and Bylaws were endorsed at a meeting in Brandon, Manitoba on March 1, 1906, and formally acknowledged by the Minister of Agriculture in Ottawa on July 11, 1906. The "Canadian Aberdeen Angus Breeders Association" was consolidated May 4, 1906. The principal Annual Meeting was held in Winnipeg, July, 1906, with the primary President, Hon. W. Clifford, of Manitoba. The head office of the Association did not stay in Winnipeg. It moved to Brandon in 1911, Calgary in 1947, then to Guelph in 1964, to Regina in 1988 and back to Calgary in 1995. In 2013, the Association moved into its first part possessed working in Rocky View County, Alberta, around 10 minutes north of Calgary. Angus creatures touched base in Montreal, Quebec by 1860 and some arrived in Victoria, BC in 1874. The initially recorded importation was in 1859 by Sir George Simpson, Governor of the Hudson Bay Company. No offspring was recorded; in this way credit for the main profitable importation was given to Professor Wm. Chestnut at the Ontario Experimental Farm in Guelph, Ontario.
"The first of the breed conceived in North America" is remembered on a bronze plaque in Guelph perceiving the introduction of Eye Bright second on January 12, 1877 sired by the bull Gladiolus.
In 1882 there were 323 Angus imported from Scotland. The Hon. M.H. Cochrane had his central command in Montreal and a farm in Alberta. He acquired ten creatures from Scotland in 1881 for the huge whole of $9,975. These were the days when top bulls were offering for $300. The town of Cochrane, only west of the city of Calgary, got its name from this early supporter of Aberdeen Angus dairy cattle.Read More»