In 1955, a group of 40 or 75 car wash professionals (depending on which historical documents you read) met at the Hotel Del Prado in Mexico City to officially form the Automatic Car Wash Association (ACWA). ACWA became recognized throughout the world for its activities on behalf of the industry. ACWA was later renamed the International Carwash Association (ICA).
As the self-serve segment of the industry evolved, an organization known as the National Carwash Council (NCC) came into being. Since there was no need (in the opinion of the majority of manufacturers and suppliers serving car wash operators) for two associations to serve the car wash industry, NCC merged with the International Carwash Association in the early 1980s to better serve all segments of the industry worldwide.
For a brief period of time after the merger, the group was called the International Carwash Association/National Carwash Council (ICA/NCC). But in 1985, by acclaim at the organization's International Convention & Exposition in Chicago, the name National Carwash Council was dropped and the association's name was abbreviated to International Carwash AssociationRead More»