Royal Air Force Station Lichfield otherwise called Fradley Aerodrome, was an operational preparing station from 1940 until 1958. It was arranged in Fradley, 2 miles north east of Lichfield, Staffordshire, England. The runway was the busiest landing strip in Staffordshire amid World War II. The Association was framed in 1990 with the motivation behind keeping administration and regular citizen work force, who served at RAF Lichfield, in contact with each other and for the Association to contact relatives of the individuals who lost their lives while serving here. Amid the year we convey 4 Newsletters and on the principal weekend in September we have a Reunion at Lichfield over a time of 2 days. We are just the second ex Service Association to be conceded this honor. A unique outline was submitted, taking into account a thought by one of our individuals, to the College of Arms in London. The College's legitimate craftsman then delivered a composition of the identification, which was authorized by Garter King of Arms and endorsed by the Queen. Tailing this, the Association now has a coat and lapel identification.
RAF Lichfield referred to locally as Fradley was developed in 1939 and mid 1940. The principal inhabitants were 51 M.U. on first August 1940 whose part was to get air ship from the makers and complete any changes before conveyance to Squadrons. At the point when dangers stopped huge quantities of air ship were separated and the Unit stayed dynamic until the conclusion of the runway. On the 23rd April 1941 27 O.T.U. was framed and this turned into the biggest unit on the landing strip, its part was to prepare Aircrew on Wellingtons and here the groups primarily from the Commonwealth Countries were shaped before going ahead to their Squadrons. Operational Bombing Missions were flown in 1942-43 and an extensive number of "Nickel" fights were flown. The Unit was disbanded in June 1945. Different Units amid the War and Post War period are definite somewhere else and the landing strip shut in April 1958. Since that time a couple of non military personnel light flying machine have utilized the runway yet no flying happens now. The complete site was discarded by the Air Ministry on first May 1962 for £240,000. The Lucas Company right now utilize the overhangs for the capacity and pressing of auto parts and in spite of the fact that a couple of little structures have been devastated the site has been left as initially constructed. The landing strip is currently a fruitless no man's land and inside a couple of years is prone to be totally secured with lodging and mechanical units.Read More»