RAF Yatesbury is a previous Royal Air Force landing strip close to the town of Yatesbury, Wiltshire, England, around 4 miles (6 km) east of the town of Calne. It was a critical preparing foundation in the First and Second World Wars, and until its conclusion in 1965. For a period in the 1950s, part of the site got to be RAF Cherhill. RAF Yatesbury incorporates the history in First and Second World War. In First World War the Royal Flying Corps started pilot preparing at Yatesbury in 1916. Formations incorporated No. 99 Squadron, and No. 7 and No. 8 squadrons of the Australian Flying Corps.
There were two runways, East Camp and West Camp, each with structures and overhangs; two target regions were checked out. Training proceeded until 1919, and then squadrons were sent to Yatesbury to be disbanded. The station shut in 1920 and came back to farmland. In Second World War Part of the west site was worked from 1936 by the Bristol Airplane Company as a regular citizen flying school (No. 10 Elementary Reserve and Flying Training School) where students were set up for administration in the RAF or the Reserve, utilizing Tiger Moth aircraft. As a part of 1939 the entire site was assumed control by the Air Ministry and pilot preparing was exchanged somewhere else so that the station could be utilized (together with adjacent RAF Compton Bassett) to prepare numerous airborne remote administrators and, from 1942, radar administrators. After the war, flying preparing continued from 1945 to 1947.
The point of the affiliation is to save the recollections and history of these RAF stations and all who were included especially those that gave their lives in the administration of their nation.Read More»