Saint Martin's University is a coeducational, Catholic, liberal arts university in the United States. Located in Lacey, Washington, it was founded in 1895 as an all-boys boarding school by monks of the Benedictine Order. Saint Martin's began offering college-level courses in 1900 and became a degree-granting institution in 1940. The college became coeducational in 1965. In 2005, it changed its name from Saint Martin's College to Saint Martin's University. The school motto is "Think with heart." With a 12:1 student-to-teacher ratio and a minority student population of 45%, the college has a reputation for diversity and small class sizes. It has a functioning Benedictine monastery on school grounds, and some members of the monastic community also serve as professors.