Hypersensitivity reactions to alcohol, including anaphylaxis are well documented, however it is unclear what component causes these reactions, considering alcoholic drinks are exceptionally complex. There have been speculations on sensitivities to grains, yeast, sulphite additives and histamine. In prior reports it has been proposed that ethanol itself does not act as an allergen, but its metabolic products, acetaldehyde and acetic acid may act as haptens. The natural history of these reactions is unknown. We report a case of documented anaphylaxis to alcohol with subsequent spontaneous remission.