- Paranoid schizophrenia -- a person feels extremely suspicious, persecuted, or grandiose, or experiences a combination of these emotions.
- Disorganized schizophrenia -- a person is often incoherent in speech and thought, but may not have delusions.
- Catatonic schizophrenia -- a person is withdrawn, mute, negative and often assumes very unusual body positions.
- Residual schizophrenia -- a person is no longer experiencing delusions or hallucinations, but has no motivation or interest in life.
- Schizoaffective disorder--a person has symptoms of both schizophrenia and a major mood disorder such as depression.
No cure for schizophrenia has been discovered, but with proper treatment, many people with this illness can lead productive and fulfilling lives.