alexa Helicobacter pylori Pathogenicity-Associated cagA and vacA Genotypes Among Nigerian Dyspeptic Patients
ISSN-2155-9929

Journal of Molecular Biomarkers & Diagnosis
Open Access

Like us on:
OMICS International organises 3000+ Global Conferenceseries Events every year across USA, Europe & Asia with support from 1000 more scientific Societies and Publishes 700+ Open Access Journals which contains over 50000 eminent personalities, reputed scientists as editorial board members.

Open Access Journals gaining more Readers and Citations

700 Journals and 15,000,000 Readers Each Journal is getting 25,000+ Readers

This Readership is 10 times more when compared to other Subscription Journals (Source: Google Analytics)

Research Article

Helicobacter pylori Pathogenicity-Associated cagA and vacA Genotypes Among Nigerian Dyspeptic Patients

Abstract

Objective: Although Helicobacter pylori infection is endemic in Nigeria, the specific genotypes that influence treatment responses are scarcely known. We aimed to determine the specific genotypes of H. pylori virulence genes, vacA and cagA in dyspeptic patients.

Subjects and methods: Gastric biopsy samples were obtained from 80 dyspeptic patients referred for endoscopy. Genomic DNA was extracted from biopsies using the ReliaPrep DNA kit. H. pylori DNA was detected by a singleplex PCR based on the genus specific 16s rRNA gene. The vacA subtypes for the s1 and s2 regions and the m1 and m2 alleles were detected by allele specific multiplex PCR. The cagA gene was amplified by a singleplex PCR.

Results: Of the 80 samples, 30 (37.5%) had abnormal mucosa which were chronic gastritis. The rest (62.5%) had normal mucosa lining. Of the 30 chronic gastritis cases, 22 (73%) had H. pylori infection as detected by 16s rRNA PCR. Only 2 (4%) of the normal mucosa cases had H. pylori infection. For the vacA genotypes, 79% of the H. pylori infections were s1c/m2 genotype, followed by 8% s1b/m2 genotype. Three different genotypes: s1c/m1/m2, s1c/s2/m2 and s1c/m1 occurred at 4% each. The most virulent vacA genotype, s1/m1 was only 8% while the least virulent vacA genotype s2/m2 was 4%. The moderate virulent vacA genotype, s1/m2 was the most prevalent (83%) in the Nigerian patients. The most prevalent subtype was the s1c/m2. Only 7 cases (29%) were cagA positive.

Conclusion: The pathogenicity-associated virulence genes present in Nigerian dyspeptic patients were moderate types. The endemicity of the disease may not necessarily lead to high rate of fatal outcomes or treatment failures as reported in other parts of the world.

Keywords

Share This Page

Additional Info

Loading
Loading Please wait..
 
Peer Reviewed Journals
 
Make the best use of Scientific Research and information from our 700 + peer reviewed, Open Access Journals
International Conferences 2017-18
 
Meet Inspiring Speakers and Experts at our 3000+ Global Annual Meetings

Contact Us

Agri & Aquaculture Journals

Dr. Krish

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9040

Biochemistry Journals

Datta A

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9037

Business & Management Journals

Ronald

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

Chemistry Journals

Gabriel Shaw

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9040

Clinical Journals

Datta A

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9037

Engineering Journals

James Franklin

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

Food & Nutrition Journals

Katie Wilson

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

General Science

Andrea Jason

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9043

Genetics & Molecular Biology Journals

Anna Melissa

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9006

Immunology & Microbiology Journals

David Gorantl

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9014

Materials Science Journals

Rachle Green

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9039

Nursing & Health Care Journals

Stephanie Skinner

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9039

Medical Journals

Nimmi Anna

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9038

Neuroscience & Psychology Journals

Nathan T

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9041

Pharmaceutical Sciences Journals

Ann Jose

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9007

Social & Political Science Journals

Steve Harry

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

 
© 2008- 2017 OMICS International - Open Access Publisher. Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Above IE 7.0 version
adwords