There are relatively few famous people with schizophrenia because schizophrenia is a brain disorder that typically strikes people when they are quite young - age 17 to 28.
People this age typically are too young to be famous, they are just starting out their professional lives after completing high school or college.
A recent Nobel Laureate in Economics, John Forbes Nash Jr., has a lifetime history of Schizophrenia but is now doing very well, as has been well documented in the book "A Beautiful Mind" and the academy award-winning movie of the same name.
Many "historical diagnoses" are frequently not entirely certain -- a "good guess" for schizophrenia includes Mary Todd Lincoln, wife of President Abraham Lincoln. Following is a list of famous people who have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, or are highly suspected of suffering (or who had suffered) from schizophrenia.
- Tom Harrell, Jazz Musician Meera Popkin, Broadway Star
- John Nash - Mathematician/Nobel Prize Winner
- Albert Einstein's son - Eduard Einstein
- Dr. James Watson's son (Dr. Watson is co-discover of DNA and Nobel Prize winner)
- Alan Alda's Mother (Alan Alda is the famous TV actor from the series MASH)
- Andy Goram - Scottish Soccer Player/Goal Keeper
- Lionel Aldridge - Superbowl-winning Football Player
- Peter Green, Guitarist for the band Fleetwood Mac
- Syd Barrett of the band Pink Floyd
- Alexander "Skip" Spence and Bob Mosley - both members of the 1960's rock group Moby Grape (and Jefferson Airplane for Skip Spence)
- Roger Kynard "Roky" Erickson, of the Austin-based 1960's group TheThirteenth Floor Elevators
- Joe Meek - 1960's British record producer
- James Beck Gordon (Jim Gordon) - James Gordon had been, quite simply, one of the greatest drummers of his time
- Charles "Buddy" Bolden - Jazz Musician
- Antoin Artaud - Dramatist, Artist
- Mary Todd Lincoln, wife of Abraham Lincoln (past-President of the United States)
- Vaclav Nijinsky, Famous Russian Dancer
- Jack Kerouac, Author, was diagnosed with Schizophrenia
Here is another list that someone has developed - the NAMI list of famous people with mental illness.
High impact articles: Schizophrenia Research and Treatment