Alcoholism is also known as alcohol dependence which contains four major signs: Craving, Loss of control, Physical dependence, Tolerance.
Alcohol Use in the United States:
Overall, 52% of adults aged 18 and over were current regular drinkers, 13% were current infrequent drinkers, 6% were former regular drinkers, 8% were former infrequent drinkers, and 21% were lifetime abstainer in the year 2012.
Alcohol Use Disorders
Adults (ages 18+):
- 16.6 million adults ages 18 and older (7.0 percent of this age group) had an AUD in 2013. This includes 10.8 million men3 (9.4 percent of men in this age group) and 5.8 million women (4.7 percent of women in this age group).
- About 1.3 million adults received treatment for an AUD at a specialized facility in 2013 (7.8 percent of adults who needed treatment). This included 904,000 million men (8.0 percent of men in need) and 444,000 women (7.3 percent of women who needed treatment).
Youth (ages 12-17):
- In 2013 an estimated 697,000 adolescents ages 12-17 (2.8 percent of this age group) had an AUD. This number includes 385,000 females (3.2 percent of females in this age group) and 311,000 males (2.5 percent of males in this age group).
- An estimated 73,000 adolescents (44,000 males and 29,000 females) received treatment for an alcohol problem in a specialized facility in 2013.
- Nearly 88,000 people (approximately 62,000 men and 26,000 women) die from alcohol-related causes annually, making it the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States.
- In 2013, alcohol-impaired driving fatalities accounted for 10,076 deaths (30.8 percent of overall driving fatalities).
- In 2006, alcohol misuse problems cost the United States $223.5 billion.
- Almost three-quarters of the total cost of alcohol misuse is related to binge drinking.
Related Journals of Alcoholism
Journal of Alcoholism & Drug Dependence, Journal of Drug Metabolism & Toxicology, International Journal of School and Cognitive Psychology, Journal of Addictive Behaviors Mental Illness and Treatment, Drug and Alcohol Dependence, Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, Alcohol and Alcoholism, Alcohol research : current reviews, Alcohol, American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse.
Facts About Alcoholism