The Geological Society of South Africa (the GSSA) was established on the 4th of February 1895 and is one of the oldest scientific societies in South Africa.
Its primary destinations are
The GSSA plans to fortify the investigation of earth sciences and to take care of the premiums of earth researchers by giving discussions and occasions where geologists and individuals from related orders can meet and share thoughts on advances in the science, developing innovation, and new land models and thoughts. These discussions incorporate gatherings, workshops and meetings. Likewise, the Society has a particular division, the Directorate of Professional Programs (DPP) which sorts out expert courses for individuals and non-individuals. As of late these courses have included Drilling for Geologists, Structural Geology and Competent Person's Reporting. The GSSA distributes the associate inspected logical diary, the South African Journal of Geology, and every year grants the Draper Memorial Medal (to pay tribute to David Draper) to perceive accomplishment in topography, and the Des Pretorius Memorial Award (to pay tribute to Desmond Pretorius) to perceive excellent work on financial geography in Africa. The Society bolsters various topographically differing branches, expert divisions and vested parties. Connections to these can be found on the site. Branches incorporate Egoli (Gauteng), Western Cape, University of Fort Hare, Kwazulu-Natal, Bushveld, Barberton, University of the Orange Free State, Limpopo and University of Venda. Expert divisions or vested parties incorporate the Geoscience Educators Association of South Africa (GEA), Ground Water Division (GWD), Mineralogical Association of South Africa (MINSA) and the Tectonics Division (T-Dogs). The GSSA is represented by its Council, Management Committee (MANCO) and the Executive Office which is situated in the Chamber of Mines working in Hollard Street in downtown Johannesburg.Read More»