West Penn Hospital, located at 4800 Friendship Avenue in the Bloomfield neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is a flagship 317-bed hospital of the Allegheny Health Network. It serves as a Clinical Campus of Temple University School of Medicine, offering a full range of medical education opportunities, including a large number of residency and fellowship programs. It was founded on March 18, 1848 as Pittsburgh's first charted public hospital, West Penn Hospital is internationally known and has received many notable awards. It was named one of the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals for 2008, the only major teaching hospital in Pennsylvania selected for this elite list by Thomson Reuters. It became the first hospital in western Pennsylvania to receive Magnet(r) recognition status from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) in 2006 and re-designation in 2012. It recognizes excellence in nursing and quality patient care and has been achieved by only 4 percent of all healthcare facilities in the nation. It is a nationally recognized provider of advanced treatment programs for patients with blood related disorders and was one of just 35 centers nationwide to be recognized as a Center of Excellence by the Myelodysplastic Syndromes Foundation in 2001.