Bishop's University is a predominantly undergraduate university in Lennoxville, Quebec, Canada. Bishop's is one of three universities in the province of Quebec that teach primarily in English (the others being McGill University and Concordia University, both in Montreal). The university shares a campus with its neighbour, Champlain College Lennoxville, an English-language public college. It remains one of Canada's few primarily undergraduate universities. Established in 1843 as Bishop's College and affiliated with the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge in 1853, the school remained under the Anglican church's direction from its founding until 1947. Since that time, the university has been a non-denominational institution. Bishop's University has graduated fifteen Rhodes Scholars. Bishop's College was established by Bishop George Jehoshaphat Mountain on December 9, 1843, in Lennoxville, Quebec, for the education of members of the Church of England and erected into a university in 1853. The school was founded by Bishop Mountain, the third Anglican bishop of Quebec as a liberal arts college. In 1845, instruction began, and in 1854, the first degrees were granted. In 1845, the Reverend Jasper Hume Nicolls (1818-1877) was appointed first principal of Bishop's College. He was raised in the city of Quebec and graduated Bachelor of Arts from Oriel College in the University of Oxford. He was a Fellow of Queen's College, Oxford when he was appointed to his position here. In 1853, along with Bishop Mountain, he was instrumental in obtaining the Royal Charter which raised the college to the status of a university. Jasper Nicolls led Bishop's almost single-handedly for 32 years surviving several financial crises. After his death in 1877, his students said of him, in a formal resolution, "he was a most able, kind and patient teacher, an example of everything a Christian gentleman ought to be, and a sympathetic personal friend to each of us". A faculty of medicine, known as Bishop's Medical Faculty, Montreal, was established in Montreal in 1871, and closed in 1905 when it amalgamated with McGill University. A short-lived Faculty of Law was established in Sherbrooke in 1880, to close in 1888. Only fifteen degrees in course were granted. The Church of England controlled the university until 1947. Since 1947, a corporation and appointed trustees have been responsible for its business affairs. A senate have dealt with academic matters.