The Çekmece Nuclear Research and Training Centre known as ÇNAEM, is the primary nuclear research and training centre of Turkey. The organization was established on March 6, 1958 as a subunit of Turkish Atomic Energy Administration at Küçükçekmece district in the western Istanbul. The name of the organization was coined on August 12, 1960.The ground breaking of the facility at the eastern shore of Lake Küçükçekmece to house the countrys first nuclear research reactor was held in 1959. After the construction and the start of the operation of the research reactor, the official opening of the center took place on May 27, 1962 in the presence of President Cemal Gürsel. The center is directed by Ass. Prof. Dr. Gürsel Karahan. Post the 2010 reorganisation, six new divisions were added namely, Nuclear Technics Division, Nuclear Electronics Division, Nuclear Technology Division, Radioactivity Analysis and Analytics Division, Waste Management Division and Health Physics Division. ÇNAEM strives to be a pioneer in ensuring that the country benefits from nuclear technology and to perform the regulatory and supervisory activities in nuclear field and also keeps the valuable vision to become reliable, effective and independent authority in ensuring the much needed protection of human and environment from radiations.