Our foundation Central School of Ballet was established by Ann Stannard and the late Christopher Gable CBE in 1982. The founders wanted a school that valued the artistic expression in dance, as well as the importance of technique. Today, Central nurtures expressive dance artists and develops each individual's potential to become the best possible dancer they can and want to be. Each year around 110 Senior School students attend Central. The Senior School degree course is one of the most comprehensive dance programmes in the country, and enables our students to enjoy sustained careers in classical ballet, contemporary dance and musical theatre.
Ballet Central Ballet Central is our touring company which gives final year students first-hand experience of professional performance in venues around the country. This provides great training for Central students who are recognised for their employability, and in their subsequent careers for their maturity and professionalism.
The Conservatoire for Dance and Drama As an affiliate of the Conservatoire for Dance and Drama, Central sits alongside other schools such as RADA, LAMDA, and London Contemporary Dance School.
Central School of Ballet in Numbers • 10,000 miles are travelled on a single Ballet Central tour
• 84% of graduates are employed in the Dance Industry within 6 months of graduating • Central has over 300 Associate School pupils aged 3-16 • 400 new costumes are created by hand every year
• Over 5,000 people see a Ballet Central performance every year
• Over 10 years of association with the Conservatoire for Dance and Drama
• The Injury Prevention team are available to all students 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
• At least 8 new scores per year created
• At least 12 new choreographies produced per year by staff or professional artists • At least 80 new student choreographic works produced per year