Eastern was founded in 1889 as the Willimantic State Normal School, an institution whose sole purpose was to train teachers. Thirteen female students attended classes on the third floor of the Willimantic Savings Institute during its first year; the first male student was not enrolled until four years later in 1893. In 1890, the Town of Windham deeded 6 acres (24,000 m2) of land to the State of Connecticut. The state decided to use it as the new home for the Willimantic State Normal School, which was quickly outgrowing its space. Construction of a new, larger facility was completed in 1895. In September 1921, the school opened its first dormitory, Burr Hall, which is still in use today. In 1937, the Willimantic State Normal School, which had begun offering a four-year curriculum and granting Bachelor of Arts degrees, became Willimantic State
The following is the list of articles by scholars from Eastern Connecticut State University that are published in OMICS International journals.