In 1961, the Gwangju District Catholic Church Maintenance Foundation, located at 305 Kwangju-dong, Gwangju, prepared for the establishment of a school with 2,500 pyeong facilities. In 1969, the operation right of the university was transferred from Jesuit to Gwangju and Daegu Provincial Bishops. In 1985, the university changed the name to Gwangju Catholic University. Rev. Harold W. Henry arrived at Gwangju in October 1933, and was struggling to proclaim the gospel as he struggled in Jeolla province. In 1950, he was appointed as the chief of Gwangju parish priest. Finally, the school site of 305,000 pyeong in Gwangju City was secured and the school facilities of 2,500 pyeong were built. On March 7, 1962, the first priest of the Korean Catholic Church was established.
In March 1961, when the construction work was almost finished, 18 students were already studying Latin under the title of Daegun Theological School in an old wooden building in Geumnamno 4-ga, Gangwon-do. The current bishop commissioned the administration of the university to the province of Wisconsin in the United States Jesuits, and in the first place, the priest Jinsung (Peter) took charge of spiritual instruction and Latin education of the seminarians. In 1962, two great inclinations were established, one on March 7 and the other on March 15, when the Gwangju Diocese was promoted to the Archdiocese and the founder’s current bishop was acquired as an Archbishop. According to the local arrangement of the Korean Catholic Bishops' Conference, new students belonging to Gwangju and Daegu Metropolitan Area, and Jesuits, Salesians, and Franciscans were enrolled at the Dahnn seminary, 21 philosophies, 22 Latin classes, Rev. Andrew H. Bachhuber, SJ, was inaugurated.
On July 26, 1964, when the Daegan School of Law was established and approved by the Private School Law and the revision of the Enforcement Decree of the Act, the current Archbishop, who was the founder of the school, was inaugurated. As of January 13, 1965, Dagan Seminary was established as a Dagan Theological College, and four years of the seven-year course from the establishment of the priesthood to the Dagan Seminary was granted legal recognition as a college with a capacity of 160 students. Principal Park Hoover is the first dean that was inaugurated. On February 10, 1968, Rev. Terence W. Doyhle (SJ) was inaugurated as the third dean of the Jesuits. In November of the same year, the editorial editorial department was launched to publish quarterly academic journals called theological view. In 1978, it opened a summer theology lecture and gave opportunity to laymen and religious leaders to study theology. In 1983, the Daegan Kyoryeon Academy was established. In 1982, Daegu theological college was opened in Daegu, so the students of the Daegu Metropolitan Area except Daegu Metropolitan City were studied in Daegu. The students of Gwangju Metropolitan City, Chuncheon, Wonju, Busan Diocese, The seminary students remained at the university, but the number of seminary students was inferior overall. According to the instructions of the Ministry of Education, the name of the school was changed to Gwangju Catholic University on March 1, 1994, and the dean of the dean Kim Minsoo was appointed as the first president.
On February 28, 2006, Lee Young-heon, the president, attended the ceremony for the first time in the fourth grade. On September 4, Chung Seung-hyun, a member of Jeonju Diocese, took over as the fifth president after his successor, Lee Young-heon. On November 3, the 11th conference was held under the theme of "Multicultural Society and Korean Catholic Church." On November 5, the 14th conference was held under the theme of "Korean Society and Catholic Culture." As of February 2011, there are 890 priests in the university.