Centre of the Preservation of World Cultural Heritage (The Hornemann Institute) was founded in December 1998 and registered as official project for the German world exhibition EXPO 2000 "World Cultural Heritage - A Global Challenge" initially sponsored by the “Verein zur Bewahrung und Erhaltung des Weltkulturerbes e.V.”. Since 2003 the Hornemann Institute is state-funded institute of the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Hildesheim/Holzminden/Göttingen. The Institutes primary field of activity is mainly focus on worldwide knowledge transfer and further education in the field of conservation and restoration with new media. The Hornemann Institute was founded in 1998, in cooperation with the City of Hildesheim, the University of Applied Sciences und Arts Hildesheim/Holzminden/Göttingen and the University of Hildesheim. Since September 2003 the institute is part of the University of Applied Sciences und Arts Hildesheim/Holzminden/Göttingen and the association is still a supporting body to the Hornemann Institute. The institute was named after the first German explorer of Africa, Friedrich Konrad Hornemann, who was born in Hildesheim in 1772. The Hornemann Institute has a partnership with ENCoRE ENCoRE = European Network for Conservation-Restoration Education since 2011 and a member in German Initiative for Network Information“(DINI) since 2009. In addition, the Hornemann Institute supports research on cultural heritage sites in the Hildesheim region which has been presented in its publication series, e.g. on St. Michaels Church, Hildesheim (vol. 2), the Kaiserhaus in Hildesheim (vol. 1) as well as churches (vol. 4) and town halls in Lower Saxony (vol. 6). The Hornemann Institute also developed educational materials and "Heritage Cases" on the Hildesheimer World Heritage Site to increase the awareness of heritage preservation among children.