The national geographical institute made under the law of June 8, 1976 is the beneficiary to a long logical and mechanical convention that goes back to the freedom of Belgium. Indeed, on January 26, 1831, an announcement of the temporary government made inside the ministry of war a deposit of war and topography with the mission. The establishment and provision of maps for the whole military operations. After the Second World War, it was for all intents and purposes important to begin sans preparation a large portion of the geodetic milestones had either vanished, were decimated, or had turned out to be dicey. As a result of this, a new transformation of the institute was decided. On march 5, 1947 a decree of the regent created the military geographical institute, military establishment, industrial production and scientific research. This decree also provided for a permanent civilian cadre of engineers recruited by competition, thus ensuring continuity of design in the institutes basic mission and thus permitting scientific activities related to current work. Its leading staff would forge a tool whose reputation would soon cross borders. The IGM was along these lines called upon to guarantee, in a joint effort with other scientific bodies. The IGN is regulated by an administration council that characterizes the associations policy. This advisory group is composed of a president, two VPs and nearly 20 individuals representing several federal ministries,, the Belgian Federation of Enterprises, the General Federation of the Middle Classes and the exchange unions. Likewise it incorporates four individuals with consultative voice agents of the three areas and the German-speaking Community. Likewise, two government commissioners have been designated to speak to represent the Minister in charge and the Minister of the Budget respectively on the management committee.