The Research Institute of Food Science (CIAL) is officially inaugurated on March 24, 2011, a research center joint attached to the Higher Council for Scientific Research (CSIC) of Spain and the Autonomous University of Madrid. As in the rest of the CSIC centers, research and R & D are carried out in the ICVV , in this case related to the relationship between food and health from different points of view such as prevention, biological activity of components , New extraction methodologies, sensorial properties etc., for which tools based on metabolomics, genomics.
The ultimate goal is the application of food science in favour of health, with the contribution of products of high added value for industry, the attraction and training of young scientists and new professionals, remaining at the service of the quality of life And social welfare. Department:
• Department of Bioactivity and food Analysis
• Department of Biotechnology and Food Microbiology
• Department of Novel Food Production and Characterization
These departments act as an organizational framework to facilitate research activities and encourage interaction and scientific collaboration between members of the institute. The center and its researchers maintain active collaborations and exchange programs with universities, research centers and laboratories around the world.
Specifically, the research activity carried out in the CIAL is aimed for establishing scientific evidence on the physiological effects of foods and their compounds in human health and disease prevention, improving their safety and sensory properties, identifying at molecular level the mechanisms of biological activity of food ingredients and their metabolites in the human body, as well as their interactions with dietary elements. Research:
• Seminar: "Systems Biology applied to biomedical research: from the preclinical to the clinical"
• Jornada innovar para grow: Science and Technology to respond to the food market.
• An informative conference will teach everything we need to know about coffee.
• Influence of ß-Cyclodextrin on reduction of cholesterol content in dairy, egg and meat products.
• Combined effect of Lactobacillus acidophilus and β-cyclodextrin on serum cholesterol in pigs.
• Effect of ß-Cyclodextrin on Phospholipids and Cholesterol of the Milk Fat Globule Membrane. Plateforms:
• Bat. Bioanalytical Techniques Unit
• Metabolomics Plataform
• Gastrointestinal Simulator
• Novalindus. Food Sector Specific Services Platform Projects:
• Multi-product integrated biorefinery of algae: from carbon dioxide and light energy to high-value specialties.
• Bioactivity and bioaccessibility of carotenoids in plant tissues subjected to high hydrostatic pressures.
• ALIBIRD Functional foods and effective nutritional strategies for the prevention and treatment of chronic diseases.
• Design and evaluation of a nutritional supplement enriched in bioactive phospholipids for the prevention of mild cognitive impairment associated with aging.