Kannada University, also called as Hampi Kannada University or Hampi University, Kannada University, Hampi is a research oriented Public University in Hampi, Karnataka, founded in 1991 by the Government of Karnataka through Kannada University Act, 1991, with the aim to develop the Kannada language and to promote the literature, traditions, culture, and folklore of Karnataka.
The University moved from the stonemantapas of Hampi, where it was located initially to the present campus, Vidyaranya, in 1994. It also now has two more satellite campuses: one in Badami, an historical place, where the Department of Sculpture and Visual Arts is located; and the other at Kuppalli, the birth place of the poet Kuvepmu, where the Kuvempu Research Centre is located.
The University has three main wings
• Adalitanga (Administrative wing)
• Adhyayananga (Academic wing)
• Prasaranga (Publication wing)
The courses offered are:
• D.Litt Programme
• Integrated M.A.Ph.D. in Kannada literature where a degree holder can complete post graduation and research. This course is of four years duration.
• M.Music (Master of Music)
• M.V.A. (Master of Visual Arts)
• B.V.A. (Bachelor of Visual Arts)
• B.Music. (Bachelor of Music)
• Diploma Specialistion in Fine Arts.
Distance Education Courses Post Graduate Courses
• M.A. in Kannada
• M.A. in History
• M.A. in Sociology
• M.J.M.S in Masters of Journalism and Media Studies
• Budakattu Adhyayana (Tribal Studies)
• Mahiti Samvahana mattu Tantrajnana (IT & Communication)
• Shasana Shastra Adhyayana (Epigraphical Studies)
• Adalita Kannada (Administrative Kannada)
• Janapada Kalegalu (Folk Arts)
• Dalita Adhyayana (Dalit Studies)
• Puratatva Samskriti, Pravasodhyama (Archeology, Culture and Tourism)
• Mahila Adhyayana (Womens Studies)
• Karnataka Adhyayana (Karnataka Studies)
• Dravida Adhyayana (Dravida Studies)
• Abhivriddi Samvahana (Development Communication)
Also Certificate Courses running.
The University confers "Nadoja" awards, every year, which is equivalent to the Honorary [Doctor of Literature] (D.Litt) degree. The award which has been instituted by the University is given to eminent personalities for their contribution in various fields.
The Government of Karnataka through the Kannada University Act 1991 established Kannada University, Hampi, in 1991. Though the University was established in 1991, the demand for such a University was there in Karnataka since the mid 1980s. The Government of Karnataka established a commission under the chairmanship of Sadashiva Wodeyar to look into the demand. This Committee after consulting various intellectuals, education experts, political thinkers, social activists, literary personalities and representatives of people came out with a report and recommended the establishment of the much-needed Kannada University. Research is coordinated through both internal and external resources. Internally both departmental and individual projects are undertaken. So far the following major projects have been taken up :
• Professional Compilation of Glossaries
• Editing of Tribal and Folk Epics
• Survey and Publication of Inscriptions
• Compilation of Temple Encyclopedias
• Preparation of catalogues of manuscripts
• History of Minor dynasties
Some of the external projects accomplished are :
• Halegannada mattu Marathi
• Sahitya Sangathi
• Karnataka Charitre
The faculties impart applied education in Music and Sculpture and award diplomas. They also conduct regular workshop to deliberate upon the latest findings in the field. Regularly summer and winter Schools are held for the benefit teachers in the state.
Filed work is an important assignment for actual investigation