About Kinmen Fisheries Research Institute
Kinmen Fisheries Research Institute was founded in 1968.The Center was previously an aquatic product station for Kinmen County Agricultural Testing Center. In order to meet the fishery demands, our department became the “Kinmen County Aquatic Product Testing Center” in 1980 and deal with the breeding and testing of fish and shellfish, fish disease control, marine resources, ecological surveys, fishery scientific research, development of aquatic food products, and fishery consultations. In order to meet constant changes and modernize Kinmen’s fishery, we constantly conduct fundamental studies and develop local fish breeds.
The mission of this institute is to protect the bio-diversity, balance, sustainable resource management, and sound development of our life, production, and ecology.
Our center’s research is focused on the local environment, potential, market, and aquatic products. We effectively combine local fisheries, serve the fishermen, and promote fishing villages’ economy. We continue to promote our county’s marine and resource investigations, resource restoration and conservation, and marine ranch in order to facilitate local tourism and fishery.
• Aquiculture and Fishing Section
• Maritime Fishery
Fishing Gear and Fishing Method
Rope (Stick) Fishing
Fishing Method: Before the fishing boats arrives the fishing ground, hang the pieces of lure on the hooks, which are connected to ropes. Throw the ropes into sea according to the current status after arriving at the fishing ground. 4-5 persons are needed for the operation: the captain is responsible for sailing the boat, one for throwing floats, one for throwing fishhook and lure, one for throwing the main rope and sub-ropes, and one for conveying tools.
Catches captured: groupers, breams, golden skin porgies and other bottom-inhabited fishes
Gill net may be divided to floating gill net, bottom gill net, drift gill net and surrounding gill net according to different method of use and the depth of water where the net is laid.
1. Floating gill net: It is suitable to be laid on the surface of water. One or two ends of the net are fixed by anchors. Generally, it is used in water near the coast.
2. Bottom gill net: It is suitable to be laid on the bottom of the sea with large quantity of fishes. One or two ends of the net are fixed by anchors. Generally, it is used at the bottom of sea.
3. Fishing Method: The net is composed of one bursa and two wings and is dragged by two long steel wires. The typical type is the long-sleeve net. One steel wire will be dragged by fishermen on the coast and another will be dragged by the fishing boat. The fishermen on boat will throw the bursa net and sleeve net into water successively. Then the boat drags the steel wire it dragged to the coast. The fishermen will drag two steel wires together and thus the catches may be captured.
4. Catches captured: mainly bottom-inhabited fishes
5. Drift gill net: The place for laying such a net is not fixed as it will move along the tide or wind within a large range of fishing ground. Fishes can be captured once they enter the net.
6. Surrounding gill net: After the fish are surrounded, they will be scared and captured once they entered into the net.
Center is in charge of the planning and implementation of fishery-related testing and investigations, including the improvement of fishery technologies, fishing ground investigation/ development, fishing tool and method improvement, marine ecology investigation, fish and shellfish breeding, training, and consultation.
The center manages 65-ton fishery testing ship.
Achievements and Effectiveness
Fry Cultivation and Generalization
To develop the breeding of local species and upgrade the species bred by the aqua-culturists, so as to improve production capacity and the income of aqua-culturists, we provide the aqua-culturists at cost price with high-quality species, such as brocaded carp, Japanese sea bass, brown croaker, black The Exhibition and Education Hall for Aquatic Animals affiliated to the Center is the only hall displaying aquatic animals of the county. It consists of displaying areas for species models, oyster breeding, aquatic animals, limulus and lancelets.The Hall is opened to visitors from 9:00am to 3:00 pm all year round.
sea bream, grass prawn, kuruma prawn, red tail prawn, sand swimming crab and etc.
Oyster and Clam Cultivation and Generalization
In order to develop shallow sea breeding and improve the income of the fishing population, they provide guidance in cultivating oyster with suspension method and bamboo-stick method, and at the same time, generalize the demonstrative cultivation of clam. In the case that any aquatic disease occurs, the cultivator may take a sample to the Center to find out the cause of disease free of charge or consult relevant affairs via telephone.
We will publicize on local newspapers and send to generalization teams the application method. The Research Institute will assign technical personnel to site to guide the application of medicine.Thus, the occurrence rate of diseases will be reduced and the income of fishing population will be raised.
The application of oyster cultivation will be dealt with during Aug. to Sep. and the application of clam cultivation, from May to June.