LUT was originally established as Gansu Provincial Technical School in 1919, renamed Lanzhou Institute of Technology in 1958, and then Gansu University of Technology after the merger with Gansu Jiaotong University in the same year. In 1965, the university was put under the First Ministry of Machine Building, partial specialties from Northeast Institute of Heavy-duty Machinery and Beijing Institute of Mechanical Engineering incorporated into and a good number of teachers from Hefei University of Technology and Hunan University transferred to. In 1998, the university was funded and administered by the central and local government with the latter taking on more responsibility. In 2003, the university was renamed Lanzhou University of Technology. West campus was officially put into use in 2005. The University comprises twenty-one (21) colleges and departments, sixty-five (65) Undergraduate and Specialty programs, eighty-six (86) Masters degree programs, twenty-six (26) Doctorate Degree programs, one (1) National Key lab, twelve (12) Provincial Engineering Investigation Centers, and fifteen (15) University Enterprise Engineering Investigation Centers. The university has 15 academic disciplines of Provincial importance that form an academic system with its own distinctive qualities. The University’s administrative and academic staff exceeds 1,900 persons, including 545 professors and associate professors. The University has a total of 30,000 registered students, of which over 20,000 are full-time specialty and undergraduate students and 3,000 graduate students. Its affiliated schools are School of Materials Science and Engineering, School of Civil Engineering, School of Computer and Communication.