1. About the University The Max-Reger-Institut / Elsa Reger Foundation (MRI) was established on 25 October 1947 by Elsa Reger, the composer’s widow, knowing that Max Reger thirty years after his death on 11 May 1916 had fallen into undeserved oblivion.For nearly 50 years the Foundation had its headquarters in Bonn, where Elsa Reger - without biographical reference to her husband - had after the Second World War found her last place of residence. Early in 1996, the foundation moved to Karlsruhe where it took its permanent residence in October 1998 in the spacious rooms of the Alte Karlburg, Durlach. From modest beginnings, the MRI has developed over the past decades with a passion for Reger’s music, with creativity and a love of experimentation into the centre of international Reger research, into a meeting place of musicologists and artists as well as a location for innovative cultural mediation. Furthermore, the Elsa Reger Foundation has meanwhile established, not last through multiple (and frequently honorary) commitment, the worlds largest Reger collection: Nearly 200 musical manuscripts (as of March 2015), numerous original letters and documents by Reger or from his environment, works of art and devotionalia as well as a rich collection of printed and recorded music document life, works, and workings of the composer and invite everybody interested in Reger’s music to delve into the matter. Early in 1999 the Busch Brothers Archive, previously based in Hilchenbach-Dahlbruch near Siegen, was handed over to the MRI for scientific evaluation and donated to the Foundation in 2003. 2. About Academics/campus/affiliated colleges Early in 1999 the BuschBrothersArchiv, then housed in Hilchenbach-Dahlbruch near Siegen and compiled by Wolfgang Burbach (1928–2013), Chairman of the Busch Brothers Society which had been founded in 1964, was handed over to the Max-Reger-Institut, initially as a permanent loan for scholarly research and in 2003, given the dissolution of the Busch Brothers Society, as a donation. Even since the archive is continually growing – e.g. by generous donations from Adolf Busch’s estate. The close personal and artistic relationship between Max Reger and particularly Fritz and Adolf Busch, whom the composer once labelled his »two musical sucklings«, which had lasting consequences for the reception and interpretation of his works far beyond Reger’s death in 1916, immediately prompted a natural connection with the Max-Reger-Institut. The BuschBrothersArchive consists of an extensive collection, of letters, performance programmes and reviews, photographs, pictorial material, music both printed and in manuscript, books and sound recordings documenting the life and work of conductor Fritz Busch (1890-1951), violinist and composer Adolf Busch (1891-1952), actor Willi Busch (1893-1951), cellist Hermann Busch (1897-1975) and pianist and composer Heinrich Busch (1900-1929). Supported by the BuschBrothersArchiv and the Hoepfner-Stiftung, Edition 49 published for the first time more than forty compositions of Adolf Busch. 3. Research from the University Music manuscripts About one third of all currently known sources of Reger’s original compositions counting up to op. 146 and without opus number, as well as his arrangements and editions of music by others are owned by the Max-Reger-Institut – further manuscripts are located in public libraries, archives and private collections all over the world. The collection of the Max-Reger-Institut amounts to important original scores intended for printing, such as the Sinfonietta, Op. 90, the Symphonischer Prolog zu einer Tragödie, Op. 108, the Konzert im alten Stil, Op. 123, the String Quartet in D minor, Op. 74, the Piano Trio in E minor, Op. 102 as well as the String Trios, Opp. 77b und 144b. In the field of organ works, the Max-Reger-Institut owns several important manuscripts intended for the engravers (Suite in E minor, Op. 16, Variations and Fugue on an original theme, Op. 73 and Introduktion, Passcaglia and Fugue in E minor, Op. 127) but also such manuscripts that Reger created for the organist Karl Straube (Chorale Fantasias, Opp. 27, 30, 40 and 52, Fantasia and Fugue in C minor, Op. 29, Organ Sonata in F sharp minor, Op. 33, Fantasia and Fugue on BACH, Op. 46). Several further music manuscripts of diverse genres and periods of creation and a comprehensive collection of drafts and sketches complement the collection and illuminate not least Reger’s extensive activities as arranger and editor of the music of others. Apart from these original manuscripts, the Max-Reger-Institut has been collecting photocopies or digitizations of all further relevant sources in public and private collections ever known past and present, which can be consulted alongside the institute’s original collection upon application. 4. Research from the University Photographs, paintings, drawings, caricatures, and memorabilia of most different kind: Apart from letters and documents the Max-Reger-Institut collection comprises naturally also a considerable iconographic department, from photographs and contemporary and posthumous aorks of art and caricatures right up to memorabilia of the most diverse kind. Of particular value are several albums of photographs formerly in the possession of Elsa Reger, containing several hitherto unpublished snapshots. Concert programmes and reviews: An important means of research is the collection of concert programmes and reviews, not just comprising the period of Reger’s lifetime but also, if possible, carried on well into the present. While performances of Reger’s music are no longer to be reported to the Max-Reger-Institut after the expiring of copyright, our holdings are steadily expanded into this respect. Reger’s published music in first and later editions: The Max-Reger-Institut owns a large collection of music editions of all of Max Reger’s works and is actively involved not only in the new Reger-Werkausgabe, but also initiates, if possible, facsimile edition or supports new editions beyond the Max-Reger-Institut publications International literature on Reger A comprehensive research library offers the majority of any worldwide publications on Max Reger, not least because hardly any substantial publication on Reger is created without contacting the Max-Reger-Institut. The library may be consulted upon application. CDs, records and tapes, as well as Welte music rolls with Reger performing his own piano and organ music The Max-Reger-Institut endeavours to collect all recordings of Reger works ever published worldwide, and to make available any of the analogous publication digitally. Several historic recordings never before released on CD have been released in co-operation with the Max-Reger-Institut. Part of the Sound Archive are the piano and organ recordings Reger made on Welte in a kind of pre-digital technique in 1905 and 1913 respectively. The original organ roles owned by the Max-Reger-Institut (from which the commercial roles were dubbed) were digitized in 2013 in connection with an international research project. Further collections in the Max-Reger-Institut Apart from the comprehensive holdings directly related to Max Reger, the Max-Reger-Institut owns a huge array of collections deriving from Reger’s circle. Often they relate to pupils, interpreters or scholars devoted to the composer or in part closely connected to the Max-Reger-Institut, such as Fritz Stein, Hermann Poppen, Karl Hasse, or Arno Landmann. The most substantial such collection is the BuschBrothersArchive.