The First Disaster Management Training Institution of the country was founded on 29th April 1957 at Nagpur as the Central Emergency Relief Training Institute (CERTI) to support the Emergency Relief Organisation of the Government of India. This Central Institute organized advanced and specialist training for the leaders of Disaster Relief and Response operations to manage the consequences of any natural or manmade disaster. The conflicts of 1962 and 1965 compelled the Government of India to reorient its emergency training activities from natural disasters to those relating to protection of life and property, reducing damage and raising public morale during any war emergency. Hence, CERTI was renamed as National Civil Defence College on 1st April 1968. But the devastating Andhra Pradesh cyclone in 1978 once again vested the responsibility of training Disaster Response & Relief Officers upon the NCDC. Skill enhancing Training of Trainers in the field of search and rescue, first-aid, communications, welfare services, etc., are being organized till date. This college is catalogued in the UNDHA centers of Disaster Relief training. It has also been identified as a premier training establishment in Chemical Disasters by the Ministry of Environment & Forests. The college has been recognized as a nodal training institute for Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Emergencies training by the Ministry of Home Affairs, in year 2002. The Institute has been regularly training Trainers from Central Police Forces such as ITBP, CRPF, BSF, CISF, etc in order to prepare their personnel for the organisation of National Disaster Reponse Force. Training for developing skills to deal with terrorist threats that may comprise use of Weapons of Mass Destruction is also being conducted. Since inception of the college in 1957 the college has trained nearly 45,000 trainers which includes foreign nationals.