The National Institute of Technology, Warangal (abbreviated NIT WARANGAL or NITW) is a premier engineering and research institution located in Warangal, India. It is recognised as an Institute of National Importance by the Government of India. Foundation stone for this institute was laid by then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru on October 10, 1959, the first in the chain of 30 NITs (formerly known as RECs) in the country. The institute was renamed as the National Institute of Technology, Warangal in September 2002. The 256 acres of land is divided by the NH 202 highway into staff quarters, CCE and the main campus. The main entrance of the campus depicts the traditional elegance of Kakatiya Thoranam. The main entrance of the campus is inscribed with the meaning that the one who works shall succeed. The plinth area occupied by the buildings on the campus is: Administrative Building (3,331 Sqm), Academic Buildings (34,448 m2), Library Building (3,610 m2), Students Hostels (32,642 m2), Sports Pavilion and Gallery (784 Sqm), Directors Bungalow, Staff Quarters and Guest House (31,598 m2.) The road network in the campus runs to a length of 12 km. The Institute offers eight undergraduate programmes (B.Tech) in engineering, Twenty nine post graduate programmes (M.Tech, M.Sc, MCA and MBA) in engineering, sciences and management and research programmes in engineering, sciences, humanities, physical education and management. The institute is well-known for its Research and Development, Industrial consultancy, Continuing education and Training programmes for teachers and industrial personnel.