NorthShore University HealthSystem is an integrated healthcare delivery system serving patients throughout the Chicago metropolitan area.NorthShore encompasses four Hospitals-Evanston, Glenbrook, Highland Park and Skokieas well as NorthShore Medical Group with more than 70 offices and more than 800 primary and specialty care physicians, the Research Institute and Foundation. In total, the health system employs more than 8,000 people. NorthShore has a teaching affiliation with the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine. NorthShore was founded as Evanston Hospital in 1891. The original six-bed hospital had 12 physicians and served 38 patients in its first year. In the early 1900s Evanston Hospital expanded to 250 beds and became a teaching hospital. Louis W. Sauer developed a vaccine for Whooping Cough at Evanston Hospital in the 1920s. The hospital affiliated with Northwestern University and the Feinberg School of Medicine in the 1930s. Evanston Hospital expanded to 475 beds during the 1940s and established intensive care, cardiac care, kidney dialysis center and neonatology units. ENH opened Glenbrook Hospital in 1977 to better serve the expanding population area north of Chicago. Highland Park Hospital was acquired in 2000. Skokie Hospital, formerly Rush North Shore Medical Center, joined NorthShore in January 2009. In 1981, the Kellogg Cancer Care Center was established, the first cancer center built by a community hospital in the nation. The Center became a national model for a patient-centered, multidisciplinary approach to cancer care. The original center was demolished in 2008. A new 48,000-square-foot (4,500 m2) building is scheduled to open in 2010. The building will place a high emphasis on energy efficiency and environmental sensitivity, with a green roof and low-emitting materials.
The following is the list of articles by scholars from NorthShore University HealthSystem that are published in OMICS International journals.