The The Czech Academy of Sciences (the CAS) was established by Act No. 283/1992 Coll. as the Czech successor of the former Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences. It is set up as a complex of 54 public research institutions. The Academy employs over 8,000 employees more than a half of whom are researchers with university degrees.
In 1955- The Nuclear Physics Institute of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences (CSAS) was founded. Its name was later changed to the Nuclear Research Institute.
In 1972- The Institute was split into several parts and the largest one become the Nuclear Research Institute of the Czechoslovak Commision for Atomic Energy (now the Nuclear Research Institute Rez, plc). Most of the industry oriented nuclear research activities remained there. The second largest part of the original Institute was oriented predominantly to the basic research in the nuclear physics and was named again the the Nuclear Physics Institute (NPI).
In 1979- Low Temperature Physics Department of NPI passed to the Institute of Physics of CSAS in Prague.
In 1993- The Nuclear Physics Institute becomes a constituent part of the Czech Academy of Sciences, the Czech successor of the CSAS after splitting of Czechoslovakia.
In 1994- The Institute of Radiation Dosimetry, one of the constituent parts of the original Nuclear Physics Institute, has been incorporated into NPI. Neutron Activation Analysis Laboratory of the Czech Environmental Institute has been also incorporated into NPI.
Council of Scientific Societies of Czech Republic
At present, the Council of Scientific Societies of Czech Republic coordinates 77 scientific societies, representing natural science, medical, social, and technical sciences. They have about 25 000 members.