The Finnish Institute of Marine Research (FIMR) (Finnish: Merentutkimuslaitos and Swedish: Havsforskningsinstitutet) was a research institute founded in 1918 that was subordinate to the Ministry of Transport and Communications. The institute's main objective was to produce marine-science information to facilitate decision-making, for Finns, and for use in seafaring. Since September 2005, the Finnish Institute of Marine Research had its headquarters in Dynamicum, a building it shares with the Finnish Meteorological Institute in Kumpula, Helsinki. The institute was closed in the beginning of 2009, and its functions were divided between the Finnish Environment Institute (SYKE) and the Finnish Meteorological Institute (FMI).
The director generals were Rolf Witting (1918–1936), Erik Palmén (1939–1947), Risto Jurva (1947–1953), Ilmo Hela (1955–1975), Aarno Voipio (1975–1989), Pentti Mälkki (1990–2004), Eeva-Liisa Poutanen (2005–2008).