Facilities Institute The College of Engineering & Technology was registered as a Society on 14th June 1960 under the Societies Registration Act No. XXI of 1860 (Registration No.S1663 of 1960-61). The first admissions were made in 1961. The students were asked to report at the College on 16th August 1961 and the College was formally inaugurated on 17th of August 1961 by Prof. Humayun Kabir, Minister of Scientific Research & Cultural Affairs. The College was affiliated to the University of Delhi.
The Indian Institutes of Technology (popularly known as IITs) are institutions of national importance established through an Act of Parliament for fostering excellence in education. There are twenty three IITs at present located at Bhilai, Chennai, Delhi, Dhanbad, Dharwad, Goa, Guwahati, Jammu, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Mumbai, Roorkee, Bhubaneswar, Gandhinagar, Hyderabad, Indore, Jodhpur, Mandi, Palakkad, Patna, Ropar, Tirupati and Varanasi.
The IIT-D campus is divided into four zones: Student Residential Zone, Faculty and Staff Residential Zone, Student Recreational Area, that includes the Student Activity Center (SAC), football stadium, cricket ground, basketball courts, hockey field, lawn tennis courts and swimming pool and Academic Zone that includes department offices, lecture theatres, libraries and workshops.
IIT Delhi has 11 multi-disciplinary centres. An inter-disciplinary centre differs from a department in the fact that it deals with an overlap of two or more disciplines of engineering or science. Similar to the departments the centres also offer programs though they offer these courses only at the post-graduation level.
Ranked 4th among ‘Top 100 Engineering Institutes for Research and Teaching’ in India by National Institutional Ranking Framework (MHRD) in 2016. MoU’s and collaborations with organizations/ institutions from countries all over the world including Australia, Canada, China, etc. for research, student exchange program, governments programs etc.