The Institute of Human Sciences (IWM) is an unbiased institute for advanced examine inside the subject of humanities and social sciences. Since its inception in 1982, it has fostered the alternate of ideas among East and West, between technology and society, and among an expansion of disciplines and features of notion. In this manner, the IWM has developed into a middle of intellectual life in Vienna.
In the first years, the institute changed into broadly speaking worried with bringing ideas and studies from the jap a part of Europe, which were cut off intellectually after 1945, into Western debates. This aim keeps its prominence even more than 25 years after the autumn of the Iron Curtain, as vintage and new dividing traces among East and West retain to have a robust impact on ideals, attitudes and institutions. At the equal time, the IWM has extended its pastimes to the Balkan place and the states of the former Soviet Union. In addition, its miles devoted to an superior speak between Europe and North America.
These are new socially relevant and regularly controversial subjects that the institute desires to cognizance on, a good way to make a contribution to political, social, financial and cultural discussions. The research projects of the IWM are therefore intently linked to the demanding situations going through politics and society today. Consequently, the paintings of the institute has each an intellectual and a practical measurement: Scientific questions about the one hand, and practice-orientated tasks on the other, should stimulate every other.
Research at the Institute is currently focused on eight fields:
• Scales of Justice and Legal Pluralism
• Economic Ideas and Institutions in Eastern Europe
• Democracy in Question
• United Europe – Divided History
• Religion and Secularism
• The Philosophical Work of Jan Patocka
• International Law and Multinormativity
• Sources of Inequality During every year the IWM hosts about one hundred fellows and visitors, which include scholars as well as reporters and translators, whore awarded with fellowships to pursue their character studies whilst working on the Institute. The IWM is registered as a non-profit agency. It gets centre investment from the Austrian authorities and the City of Vienna. Its projects and sports are supported via international foundations and sponsors.