National University "Ostroh Academy" is a Ukrainian self-governed (autonomous) research university that was opened in 1994 by the Presidential Decree of April 12, 1994. The university considers itself a continuation of the historical Ostroh Academy. The school occupies the buildings of the former Rococo Capuchin monastery (built in 1779). Since October 2000 the university carries a title of National. It is one of the 14 research universities in Ukraine since July 2009. Ostroh Academy is the only elite university of Ukraine that is not located in a regional capital.