The hospital was established in 1870 and moved to its present site in Parkville on the corner of Flemington Road and Gatehouse Street in 1963.The Royal Childrens Hospital was founded by Doctors John Singleton and William Smith, in response to their serious concerns about infant mortality in the fledgling city of Melbourne. The Royal Childrens Hospital is co-located with Campus partners the Murdoch Childrens Research Institute and the University of Melbourne. Together the campus partners are known as the Melbourne Childrens. The Royal Childrens Hospital is the custodian of clinical care, The Murdoch Childrens Research Institute is the custodian of research and the University of Melbourne is the custodian of education. MCRI provides a dedicated research precinct on site and encompasses laboratory, clinical and public health focuses in its work. The University of Melbourne is the largest research University in Australia. The hospital is the designated statewide major trauma centre for paediatrics in Victoria and a Nationally Funded Centre for cardiac and liver transplantation. The hospital is surrounded by the parkland of Royal Park, with views of trees and lots of natural light. The Good Friday Appeal is held annually to raise money for the hospital. It has been broadcast on the Seven TV network for 52 years. The goal of the Appeal is to ensure that children with life-threatening illnesses receive the best possible medical and clinical care.
The following is the list of scholars from The Royal Childrens hospital who contributed and/or serves as editors for one or more OMICS International journals and conferences