Fujian Medical University Union Hospital has a long history. The former of the hospital, Foochow Christian Union Hospital (also named Willis F. Pierce Memorial Hospital) was the merge of Foochow Missionary Hospital founded in 1860 with Magaw Memorial Hospital founded in 1877, bearing a reputation as the cradle of modern medicine in Fujian Province. At present, the hospital is a comprehensive Grade A hospital serving as a key center in medical treatment, education, scientific research, disease prevention and health maintenance. Located at the beautiful foot of Yu Mountain, the hospital accommodates 2,500 beds, receives about 2 million out-patients and 110,000 in-patients and performs more than 100,000 various kinds of operations annually. There are more than 3,700 staff members in the hospital, over 500 of whom have senior professional titles (professors and associate professors included), and over 100 of whom are state-level or provincial and ministerial level talents or experts granted special government subsidies. In addition to the hospital headquarters, it also has two branches--the Third Affiliated Hospital of Fujian Medical University (Union Hospital West Branch) and Fujian Medical University Pingtan Union Hospital (Union Hospital Pingtan Branch). There will be 2,300 beds in these two branches.