The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences was established in July 1999 under the WBNUJS Act, 1999 (West Bengal Act IX of 1999) and located in Salt Lake City of Kolkata, West Bengal, India. It is an autonomous law university is offering courses to the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The founder of West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences is N. R. Madhava Menon. The Chancellor of NUJS is also the Chairman of the General Council and Chief Justice of India, Professor Dr. P. Ishwara Bhat is the Vice Chancellor of the University. The objectives of the University is to advance and publicize the knowledge of legal and law procedures and their role in national and social development, promote inter-disciplinary study of law in relation to technology, management, development and international cooperation.
The NUJS campus built in five acres of land covering academic block, residence halls for students, flats for the faculties and at present they have constructed their own auditorium. The campus also included guest house and a gymnasium for the students and the staff. The latest addition to the NUJS infrastructure is its own auditorium. The last convocation of NUJS was held on February 2009 in the new auditorium. NUJS ranked sixth in 2007, fifth in 2008 and eighth in 2009 and present NUJS ranking 4th in 2016 which was ranked in news magazine India. The popular Newspaper press has described NUJS as "one of the top three NLUs". N. R. Madhava Menon who was the Founder VC of NUJS and Legal Aid Society during the period of 1999-2003, next was B. S. Chimni he Founded NUJS National Moot competition during the period of 2004-2006, Mahendra Pal Singh served as VC during the period of 2006 -2011 he Tied up with foreign universities and focused on improvement of university infrastructure. NUJS offers undergraduate programs like B.A. or B.Sc. degree with an LL.B and For Masters programs like, LL.M. and an M.Phil. Doctoral students can opt for Ph.D.s and LL.D.s.
The faculty members of NUJS are from top universities and they have done their education from leading international and national universities like Oxford University, Vanderbilt University, Columbia University, London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) – University of London, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) – University of London, University of Nottingham, University of Essex and more. NUJS faculties have also been awarded prestigious scholarships and fellowships such as Rhodes, Fulbright, Commonwealth, Chevening and Felix to name a few.
The faculty members of NUJS are involved in many research activities and have published their research in many reputed journals.
• Australian Journal of Asian Law
• Chinese Yearbook of Human Rights
• European Intellectual Property Review
• Intellectual Property Quarterly
• International Journal of Minority and Group Rights National Journals
• Company Law Journal
• Economic and Political Weekly
• Indian Journal of International Law NUJS faculties have also published books with reputed publishers like the Oxford University Press, Lexis Nexis Butterworths, Eastern Book Company etc and have also contributed papers in edited volumes published by reputed publishing houses. NUJS faculties also contribute to key national dailies like the Indian Express, The Hindu, The Statesman, Business Standard, Financial Express, The Hindu Business Line, The Pioneer etc. The campus is well connected to the railway stations in Kolkata, the Kolkata airport and other well-known destinations in Kolkata such as Park Street and Victoria Memorial.