Valley Forge Military Academy & College (usually shortened as VFMA&C or VFMAC) is an American preparatory boarding school (grades 7-12) and coeducational (as of Fall 2006) junior college and military junior college located in Wayne, Pennsylvania and follows in the traditional military school format. Though military in tradition and form, Valley Forge Military Academy (the high school portion of VFMA&C) is a college preparatory boarding institution specializing on student leadership. VFMA&Cs administration is composed almost entirely of current or retired military and the Board of Trustees are almost entirely alumni.
Some graduates pursue careers in armed services, and VFMA&C has one Rhodes Scholar. VFMA&C and the Duke of Yorks Royal Military School, United Kingdom have become sister institutions. VFMAC has strong ties with various Royal Families and organizations. The Valley Forge Corps of Cadets, which is entirely student run, is the only American military organization that maintains British drill and ceremonies. All cadets must pass a board and earn a "Cap shield" to be a member of the Corps of Cadets.
It is the only Corps of Cadets in the United States to still have a traditional mounted battalion of one cavalry troop and one artillery battery. Valley Forge Military College, "The Military College of Pennsylvania," is unique as it is the only private junior military college in the United States where the entire college student body is military cadets from the US and international cadets. All students are members of the Corps of Cadets.
The Academy & College was fully residential, but in recent years the academy also offers a day student program. VFMC is the only military college that caters to all branches of the US military through the ROTC and the "Prepster" program for all 5 US Federal Service Academies Valley Forge Military Academy was founded in 1928 by Lieutenant General Milton G. Baker, Pennsylvania Guard (Retired). For the first five months of its existence, the school was located in Devon, Pennsylvania, on the south side of Berkley Road, between Dorset and Waterloo roads, which is several miles away from the campuss current location. After a fire during the night of January 17–18, 1929 destroyed the original single-building campus, the former Devon Park Hotel, the Academy was moved to its present site in Wayne, Pennsylvania, the former Saint Lukes School. The highest decoration in the institution, the Order of Anthony Wayne, was made in tribute to the heroism of the first Corps of Cadets on the night that the first campus burned down.
Originally, General Baker devised an American Revolutionary War motif for the school. The school colors are Buff and Blue, the colors of the uniforms of the Continental Army. The buildings in the Wayne campus were named for Revolutionary War leaders, while the uniforms, crest, Alma Mater, and rank structure were patterned from those of the United States Military Academy at West Point.