Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University is established in January 1940. Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National Universit the first university in the Western Ukraine. The history of formation and development of the Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University started when, at the request of local authorities, preparation for the opening of Teachers Institute in Stanislav started. In August 26, 1992 Ivano-Frankivsk Pedagogical Institute was reorganized in Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian University. At that time the institution has long been in one of the first places in the country thanks to its scientific potential. One of the most significant events of 2004 was the granting the university "National" status. For a short period of time of its existence university has grown into the leading center of science, culture and education of Prycarpathia. New specialities, faculties and chairs were opened, the staff was filled up with highly skilled scholars. The University consists of 14 educational institutes and faculties, 36 scientific establishments (research, scientific and educational institutions, centers, laboratories, among them joint research laboratory on tape physics of the Ministry of Education and Science, Youth and Sports of Ukraine and National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine with the status "national acquisition", botanical gardens, dendrological park, scientific library), 3 colleges, where young specialists, bachelors, masters are trained, 3 educational and consulting centers. At the university more than 16 thousand students are studying, 86 Doctors of Sciences, Professors, more than half of a thousand of Candidates of Sciences, PhD, Associate Professors are working.