Virginia Theological Seminary (VTS), formally called the Protestant Episcopal Theological Seminary in Virginia, is the largest and second oldest accredited Episcopal seminary in the United States. Established in 1823, VTS is situated on an 80-acre (320,000 m2) suburban campus in Alexandria, Virginia, close to downtown Washington, DC and adjacent to the campus of Episcopal High School. The seminarys notable alumni have taken leadership roles in the Episcopal Church, other Christian denominations in the United States, and overseas. VTS is a member of the Washington Theological Consortium and since 1938 has been an accredited member institution of the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada (ATS). In addition to historic buildings such as Aspinwall Hall, 22 buildings have been added to the campus since the 1950s, including five dormitories, a refectory and Scott Lounge, 15 faculty homes, and a recreation building. Recognizing the needs of graduate students with young families a day-care center for young children has also been provided. In 1993, the Addison Academic Center opened with classroom space, the Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans Auditorium, the seminary bookstore, and student lounge.