The Central Institute of Brackish Water Aquaculture, also known as CIBWA is an Indian institute which was established in 1987 with its headquarters located in Chennai. The institute in under Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) which is taken care by Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India.
For the development of marine science, the organization has following research divisions:
1. Crustacean Culture Division (CCD)
2. Finfish Culture Division (FCD) Nutrition, Genetics and Biotechnology Division (NGBD)
3. Aquatic Animal Health and Environment Division (AAHED)
4. Social Sciences Division (SSD)
Apart from the research divisions, the institute maintains other facilities such as auditorium and conference hall with video conferencing, hatchery, hostel, etc.
The institute also maintains online connectivity platform for various research institutes, agricultural universities, etc. known as Agricultural Knowledge Management Unit (AKMU).
The institute has an experimental field station which is situated in Muttukada and has one research center in West Bengal. The institute acts as a junction that is meant for the development and prosperity of aquaculture in India. They have the following four objectives:
1. To conduct research for development of techno-economically viable and sustainable culture systems for finfish and shellfish in brackish water.
2. To act as a repository of information on brackish water fishery resources with a systematic database.
3. To undertake transfer of technology through training, education and extension programs.
4. To provide consultancy services.
The following is the list of articles by scholars from Central Institute of Brackish Water Aquaculture that are published in OMICS International journals.