In 1456, the Duke of Milan Francesco Sforza founded the Magna Domus Hospitalis (Ca Granda), a hospital dedicated to Annunciata (a municipality of the province of Brescia, Northern Italy). He did this primarily to gain the affection of its people who were followers of the Visconti family of Milan, even though the Duke was married to Bianca Maria Visconti at the time. The Duke, entering Milan victorious on 25 March 1450 (the day of Annunciation), decided to dedicate a charitable institution to Annunciata. It was then that the new foundation became the Spedale della Nunciata. Designed by the renowned architect Filarete and built by the engineer Guiniforte Solari (responsible for the courtyard of the Certosa di Pavia, a monastery complex in Lombardy, Northern Italy), the hospital formed part of the completion of the reform of hospitals started by the Archbishop Rampini, in the years of the Golden Ambrosian Republic. The completion of the cloisters and their ornamentation was carried out by Giovanni Antonio Amadeo, the Solari’s son-in-law and pupil. Although the hospital was founded for the poor, it was, from the beginning, a hospital where people with some hope of recovery were treated. Chronic diseases were treated in hospitals outside of the city. For this reason, the Ospedale Maggiore has always been the centre of health information in the city. At the start of the 20th century, it was decided that the hospital would be moved to a location beyond the canal (where work had already been started on its expansion). This move coincided with the founding of the state University which took possession of the old buildings of the Ca Granda, where it remains today. The Ospedale Maggiore moved to a vast area between the streets of Francesco Sforza (the site of the canal), Porta Romana, Lamarmora and Commenda. The obstetrics and gynaecology department was the first to be inaugurated, by Luigi Mangiagalli (the first Chancellor of the University) and still today, the department bears his name. At the time of the hospital’s move, it had been decided that a general hospital would be created in the area of Niguarda (a neighbouring municipality which had become part of Milan in 1923). This hospital was designed by Giò Ponti and inaugurated in 1932. It kept the name Ca Granda, while the new general hospital took the name Ospedale Maggiore. Further additions to the hospital institution included the San Carlo Borromeo di Milano (also designed by Giò Ponti) and the Sesto San Giovanni hospitals. The institution was later divided up, giving autonomy to the different institutes, while others were founded independently and included later. In 1909, the Adelina brothers and Marco De Marchi founded the Asilo per le madri povere legittime "Regina Elena" (Regina Elena Refuge for Poor Mothers), which remained an independent service until 1990. In 1957, it was converted into a specialist hospital and became the Regina Elena Institute of Obstetrics-Gynaecology and Paediatrics in 1968. From 1998 to 2004 the clinical Institutes of Faithful Improvement, Mangiagalli and Regina Elena were placed under the same authority. In 2010 the name of the hospital was changed, reverting to its former name of Ca Granda.
The following is the list of scholars from IRCCS Caâ Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico of Milan who contributed and/or serves as editors for one or more OMICS International journals and conferences